Friday, May 22, 2020

3A- My Entrepreneurship Story

    During Spring 2019, I interned for Coach Manny Torres, founder of For All Athletics LLC, as a basketball training intern. Coach Torres graduated from the University of Florida as a Sport Management major in hopes of creating a basketball training business. He did exactly that and continues to expand upon the traditional ideas of basketball training. One of his more innovative ideas was to start online basketball training which launched this month. This is an idea he had been brainstorming since I was an intern for him over a year ago. I was able to watch him overthink the format and content of the online training for over six months before finally just starting it. He realized that it was not going to be perfect regardless and that he needed to just create it and go from there. This realization had him extremely prepared when the coronavirus shut down all basketball courts. Instead of being stuck with no stream of income, he was able to launch his online training program. He continues to be innovative as he works on finding new ways to teach the game of basketball to the youth. 
This is Coach Torres and me viewing the beginning of the online training program.

I took this class because the idea of working for someone else sounds awful to me, and I knew being an entrepreneur is a potential alternative to that. Working a 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. job five days a week for the rest of my life also sounded awful as I would like to work and be productive during the hours I feel I work best at. I hope to find out in this class if being an entrepreneur is something I really want to become and develop as for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jack!
    I really enjoyed reading your entrepreneurship story and it is awesome you got the opportunity to intern and experience entrepreneurship first hand through Coach Torres' basketball training program. I also think its really unique that you can directly relate some of the material we have already learned into some of the issues you were seeing with developing the program. I wish you the best of luck in your entupunerial ventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack,
    I know a few people myself in life that have always told me thing like to try and think for myself, because they too, did not want to spend the rest of their lives being employed by someone. An online basketball training program sounds very interesting. I am curious to know how that officially operates, since when you think of sports, the very first thing is that you need to be on the court/field in order to get true practice.

    ReplyDelete