2. Obsession With Improvement: I think improvement is one my favorite things in the world to experience and to witness. I have always been this way which has led me to outwork my peers in what I am passionate about. This also is very beneficial as a basketball trainer because I truly want my players to get better.
3. Problem-Solving Skills: I do a good job of analyzing problems and coming up with many different solutions. My friends often come to me with their problems because they know I'll be able to help.
4. Connections: I do a good job of making a connect and creating a relationship with people I just met. I attribute this to my ability to get along with almost anyone and my emotional intelligence. I was able to get two internships over the last year by speaking on the phone to owner for less than 15 minutes.
5. Straight Forwardness: I am a very straightforward person and I think very logically. This allows me to simplify situations which makes it easier for me and those around me to understand what is going on and what the best course of action is.
Interview 1: Terrance Singleton (Former coach and current boss)
Coach Singleton said what separates me, and has since I was a player, was my brain. He said my decision-making has always separated me from my peers. He also said my passion and loyalty separates me from others. I have worked for him at his basketball camps every summer since my freshman year of high school which he attributes towards my passion for basketball and loyalty towards him.
Interview 2: Margaret Alfano (Former boss)
Margaret said what makes me difference is my patience. While working for her, I was largely in a customer-service role which had me dealing with some not so easy-going people. She said she always admired how patient I was when a resident was unjustifiably yelling at me because they did not get their way. She also said that she appreciated my loyalty towards her and the company.
Interview 3: Aaron Oppelt (Friend)
Aaron said what makes me different is my time-management skills. He said my ability to get multiple tasks done to try to achieve a goal is something that he wants to get better at because of what he has seen me do. He also said my "realness" separates me from others. He explained that I will always be honest with him and others even if it may temporarily hurt to hear. He said what really separates me with this is my ability to pick and choose when to do this to make sure it is always in the person's best interest.
Interview 4: Manny Torres (Former boss and coworker)
Manny said the one thing that separates me from others is my dedication/commitment. He believes this is one of his own best traits which is why he thinks that he noticed it in me so quickly. He mentioned my willingness to work odd hours really showed him my dedication towards my work.
Interview 5: Taylor Morrow (Sister)
Taylor said my maturity separates me from others. She further explained this by saying I have always acted older than my age in regards to my communication with others and my long-term focus. She said that I have always been able to get along with and have conversations with anyone regardless of age. She also she admires my ability to make decisions based on the long-term consequences. This long-term focus she believes is due to the fact that I am so goal-orientated and love to achieve my goals.
Reflection:
After interviewing five people close to me, I realize that I view myself very similarly to the way they view me. Patience and maturity were both mentioned by my interviewees, and I believe this is due to my emotional intelligence that I listed. My ability to get along with others is also similar to communication. The one thing I disagree with his my time-management skills that Aaron mentioned. I tend to procrastinate a lot but I always make sure to get the job done. This is usually right before my deadline because it forces me to do it. I believe most traits that the interviewees mentioned fall under the traits listed. The one trait that I would add is my dedication/commitment towards my work. However, this could also be because of obsession with improvement.
Hey Jack,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post and thought you did an excellent job in the thoroughness of your interviews as well as listing your strengths and providing descriptions. I also listed one of my strengths as emotional intelligence, which I believe to be highly sought after in today's job market. Additionally, I also came to the conclusion in my reflection that I view myself similarly to how other people view me.
HI Jack,
ReplyDeleteObsession with improvement is a great trait to have, especially when it comes on to starting a business. Nothing ever starts off perfect, to the point where you do not even need to improve on the quality/service. The one thing trait that you disagree with someone on shows how people only see certain sides of us, but we are the only ones to really know our true selves. And at the same time, people can also offer us new insight into ourselves that we might have never observed on our own.